Technical question for you Photoshop heads

So, here’s a question for you Photoshop gurus. How would you try to emulate this type of shading, where there’s this grainy texture? It’s often seen in vintage Art Deco illustrations.
My example is more modern, but it’s the same idea.

As you can see, it’s not a simple matter of the textured shading fading away, the grain gets more sparse.

Thoughts? By the way, I would very likely create my artwork in Illustrator, then bring it into Photoshop to try to fashion this type of shading.

3 Comments so far

  1. colorista on October 26th, 2014

    That’s basically a spraypaint spray writ large, it seems. My first idea would be to create a custom brush that’s got an open, gritty or spattery texture, and a generally round but undefined edge, so it doesn’t look too much like a circle of grit. Then, play with the spacing, rotating, scattering and count jitters until you get something that has a nice spacing with one swipe of the stylus, but can also build up the texture with more swipes until it’s opaque. Does that make sense?

    Edited to see if I can embed an image. On the left is a very old brush that one of the WSers made years ago, IIRC. In the middle is the buildup that I’ve created for that brush, and on the right is a sample of the brush, much smaller, with that frisket-like edge as in the samples. I hope this works…

    Gritty brush

  2. skimvision on October 27th, 2014

    Thanks Laura! I’ve been trying to see if I could emulate this look in Illustrator, but so far, it doesn’t look natural.

    I’ll look into this method.

  3. bend on November 5th, 2014

    Laura rules! This knowledge good be useful for me as well, though I’m likely not to use it so often as I go flatter with League. But it’s always good to know. And “knowing is half the battle”.

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.